Wednesday, September 6, 2023

If only wishes were horses...


Five years was all that I had with him. The loving, kind hearted, progressive, intelligent, dedicated brilliant writer and orator left an ever lasting impression on my mind forever.  He was my 'Daddy' or so to say my father in law. 

Deepak's Daddy became Daddy to a 19 year old since 1993 when I entered this household. Never did I feel that he is just Deepak's Daddy as I was pampered no less than Deepak.

Soon after we got engaged, Daddy had a new zest in him as he enthusiatically officially launched the Youth Wing named 'Yuva Manch' as the cultural platform for our community youngsters under our institution Prabhu Tarun which is a monthly newsletter. Daddy was the Editor of our newsletter having been bestowed with rave reviews and appreciation from the likes of P.L. Deshpande who had acknowledged Daddy's writing skills after reading the book '25 वर्षा पूर्वीचे गिरगांव आणि इतर' which was written by Daddy.

I had been actively involved in organising events, dance, sketching besides my other hobbies since childhood but acting was something I had never aspired for.  However Daddy said he saw a spark in me (which till date I haven't been able to discover myself) and decided to introduce me to our community by casting me in a play.

It was Daddy who gave me my very first play and launched me in the lead role of 'Rashmi' a character from the well known Marathi play 'Lagnachi Bedi'. It was my very first opportunity to act in any play as I had never ever participated even in school plays. I was extremely nervous but Daddy was confident about me.  And yes, he was right.  The play was a super success and the timid little 19 year old Minoti Kothare became a known name over night by the name Sanjana Kothare.

Daddy was not only a tee totaller, he had no other vice, hence a cigarette was a foreign particle in our house. However since my character in the play demanded that I smoke on stage, Daddy had actually permitted me to practice smoking. Deepak bought the mildest cigarette for me and I practiced how to light and smoke a cigarette at home. This is how comfortable Daddy made me feel and I developed a strong rapport with him which has lasted a lifetime.

Daddy left too soon. Even after 25 years Deepak and me still reminisce fond memories of Daddy and also visualise his last days. Its like a video being replayed over and over again till date. 

He was loved by all. During his last days he was surrounded by everyone who loved him a lot. Our then Hon'ble Minister Late Mr. Pramod Navalkar would come to visit him every now and then despite of his busy schedule and spend hours with him.  Not to forget Daddy's long time friend, the noted actor late Mr.Vihang Nayak who would come to spend time with him even after his late night shoots or plays.  Even our then Chief Minister Hon'ble Mr. Manohar Joshi had paid him a visit a day before his demise. Such was the love and adulation commanded by Daddy.

6th September 1998 Daddy left us but he is sorely missed till date. Daddy had a command over the Marathi language and was passionate about our Newsletter Prabhu Tarun. As a tribute to Daddy's immense contribution towards our Pathare Prabhu community, Deepak and me are trying our level best to preserve Daddy's accomplishment in the literary world as a legacy. He will be alive in our hearts forever.

Its been 25 years since he left us on this day and I just could not help not thinking and writing about him. Daddy ought to know that he did not have just one son but he also had a daughter who still loves him as much as a daughter. 

Deepak and me have been missing Daddy and remembering him every now and then throughout these 25 years. But how I wished Daddy was around to groom our children and shower them with the love of a paternal grandfather whom they never got to know.  How I wish Daddy did not leave us so soon. How I wish Daddy was there for us when we needed him the most. How I wish Deepak and Me were not left alone at an age when we needed a father figure over us. If only wishes were horses...

Miss you Daddy.

4 comments:

  1. All your love to your daddy is oozing out in each and every word you have written .. . You and Deepak are definitely following his foot steps and so PT has reached its 100th year !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very touching read..I know how much you were attached to him. He lives through you. I hope you know that....I wish I had had a chance to get to know Suhas Kaka......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah Mon tai... perhaps Sujan kaka will be able to tell you something about Daddy. I too wanted to know more about him. 😔

    ReplyDelete